Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Reverb 11, December Sixth

What are 11 things your life doesn’t need in 2012? How will you go about eliminating them? How will getting rid of these 11 things change your life?

The nice thing about my life is that I'm going to have a hard time coming up with 11 things.


  1. Self-loathing (not a lot, but even a little is a problem)
  2. Isolation
  3. Bad dietary habits
  4. Unnecessary self-consciousness
  5. Medical laziness (I need to be more proactive, less reactive about healthcare)
  6. ...see?  Can't come up with 11.  I guess I could get rid of my Steve Maddens (they are rather old) and get some new shoes...
 I am fortunate. I've been engaged in this process for some time now, continuously examining my life for things that it doesn't need, and doing what I can to get rid of them.  I've been very successful in some areas; the problem is, the areas I have left are the character defects and bad habits that are basically Superglued on.  In other words, it was easier to quit using drugs than it will be to cut out the occasional self-loathing thoughts.

But I'm going to make the effort.  I do that by going to therapy (whenever I'm in town), by keeping an eagle-eye out for instances of these things, by calling myself out when I'm engaging in self-destructive (or unproductive) behavior.

Because I can only imagine how amazing my inner (and outer!) life would be if I could cut this crap out.  I can only imagine, because I've lived with some of these things for as long as I can remember.  That's how big of a change I'm talking about - basically, slightly altering the definition of Dash. 

2 comments: