Thursday, March 17, 2011

Day 27

A picture of me and a family member:
Outside of church, ca. '98-'99

Yep, Cat's in the Cradle, that's us.  Or at least it will be, someday, when I have a wife and family and a job that actually keeps me busy and pays the bills.  So we're pretty much stuck at the end of that verse where the son's all, whatever with your affection I just want the car.

I'm not entirely being fair to myself.  Let's just say Dad and I have our similarities and our differences, and the interplay between the two has occasionally led to very bad, very loud arguments which are a thing of the past.  These days, not every disagreement is an argument, and the arguments we have are wholly civil.

Of course, I had to teach him that an "interruption" is not what happens when he reaches a period, there's a pause, and I start to say something but he's decided he still has the floor - but hey.  He's the Dad.

 As with every generation, I look up to him, and still I see all the ways I'll do it "better" when it's my turn; hopefully, this will not merely entail trading one set of character defects and family dysfunctions for another.

No comments:

Post a Comment